Sunday, October 17, 2004

Blind Date

Wendy Jones has told me numerous times that she would love for me to sign up for the show Blind Date. For those who have never seen the show 'Blind Date', it basically sets up 2 individuals that is doomed for a tragically hilarious all day date. Most of the time its between 2 people that would never ever go out with each other for the enjoyment of the masses to witness...all the while, inserting amusing, sometimes embarrassing, pop up boxes commenting on the situation. On occasion, against the odds, the couple hits it off...but most often it ends in what I'm guessing is a one night stand. The reasons for her wanting me to go on this show, I have never quite understood, other then the fact that she thinks it would be hilarious...I'm guessing she is right, yet I really don't think I want, what would probably be my the most embarrassing day of my life, broadcasted on national television.
Friday afternoon I am going on my first real blind date, and I have very mixed feelings about it all. Two weeks ago I came home from work and had a message from a friend that I hadn't heard from in about 6 months. About a year ago, when I just started dating he who shall remain nameless, this friend came to me and randomly asked me to write down my contact info along with what I do both professionally and for fun...I thought this was strange so I asked her why I was doing this. She said she likes to set people up...and although she didn't have anyone in mind, if she ever came across someone that thought I would be a good match with she would let me know...I was hesitant, but she was a new friends so I kindly told her I just started dating someone but she could keep it for future reference. When I heard the message a couple weeks ago, I knew exactly why she was calling...and it happened to be on a day in which I was just complaining about relationships/or lack there of in general. How could I say no on a day that I was just complaining about this? I have no right to complain if I don't put myself out there....so here I am, 2 weeks later, awaiting my first blind date. I don't think that it has fully sunk in that I am going to actually do this. I have talked to my blind date to be, and he seems like a really nice guy, but the unknown is a scary thing. 'Lunch dates' are the new thing...the way to go, and since we work by one another that's the plan. Easy out...if its a train wreck. So, Wendy Jones, although it won't be an all day date, TV cameras, or pop up boxes...this is about as close as it will ever get to 'Blind Date' for me...but if you would like to come sit in the next booth over at the small diner we plan on feasting at Friday, you are cordially invited.

No comments: