Sunday, October 31, 2004

Halloween in the city...

Halloween in the city is unlike Halloween any where I have ever experienced. I have lived here for 3 years and I can not recall being in the city on the weekend of Halloween before. Tonight was a perfect spooky night...overcast...windy...a chill in the air. The kind of Halloween in horror movies. As I headed out tonight, it was around 9 pm...as I walked down the stairs and out the front gate I am suddenly self conscience of the kitty whiskers painted on my face, ears and tail. But its Halloween right...its okay, people understand right? As I continue to give myself a pep talk, the address to the party I was going to blew out of my hands...nearly disappearing...very creepy. After finally finding it and head down the sidewalk to hail a cab, my self conscience fades. To my surprise, there are more people with costumes on then in regular street clothes....I am not the minority here. In fact, it was more costumes I had seen in years. Unlike the normal suburbian Halloween where it's all about the kids, people were out and about, having fun...laughing...spilling out of bars and apartments, overflowing cabs, drunk dialing their friends as they walk down the street (yes we witnessed this) and it was such a fun feeling, to be apart of it. Even as we headed down Halsted tonight, the spirit of Halloween spilled into the streets...costumes not quite as polished as they were 6 hours ago, still didn't stop the fun...after all we got an extra hour tonight anyway.
Someone told me tonight there are just as many, if not more, Halloween parties in Chicago as there are New Years Eve parties. I'm not sure I would have believed him before tonight...but after being out I think it is absolutely true.

***Best Costume of the night***
I would say it was a pretty close. So in the category of best costume I would have to give it to a guy who dressed as Mr. Incredible ...it was dead on. But in the category of most creative, I have to give it to my friend Jonathan Wilcox. He dressed as Babe Ruth's ghost with a sign around his neck that said "Moving to Chicago" ...I thought it was hilarious.

No comments: