Thursday, July 15, 2004

The Waffle House

So I haven't posted in a while...I have blogged in my head on various occasions the last week but never actually sat down to let it out.  So here it goes...
 
spontaneity is not my forte, and those that know me love and respect me for this...okay fine it mainly drives people nuts.   I was on vacation all week last week, and although I had a great week, I felt like doing something out of the ordinary for me.  So Last Friday, within 10 minutes, I bought a plane ticket, packed a bag, headed out the door, and hitched a ride (not with a stranger or anything) to 'the nati'...I don't do things like this, its not in my nature.  Now I had considered the possibilities earlier that week...so I really can't proclaim unadulterated spontaneity.  Baby steps though right? 
A weekend at the Jones is always a good get away from me.   I'm not sure why but I feel it is a great escape.  Maybe its the life without rules and regimented schedules that is freeing to me...who knows.  I arrived late Friday night, and at 1am Steve and I went to the Waffle House...ahhh, the Waffle House...it was my first visit...Steve is convinced that I hated it...he is wrong.  Although with first impressions the word 'dirty' comes to mind...I am able to get over it...the Waffle House is like its own little world...kinda like a time warp...with the retro fixtures still in place since the joint opened.  There's something about it...about stepping back into the old 'diner' ....who would have guessed the small rectangle resturant that sites off the side of the road at most interstate exits would have quite so much character...no technology...no bells or whistle...2 baskets of eggs...just a resturant...open all night...serving breakfast.  The clientele, the wait staff, the famous 'waffle'  (which really would have a hard time beating a eggo in my book), crispy bacon, hot coffee, 2 friends, living differant lives, having breakfast in the middle of the night...maybe spontaneity isn't that bad after all.



No comments: