Monday, December 20, 2004

Today I Quit My Job at IBM

For the first time I feel good about posting this. I have known for about a month now that this day was coming yet was not ready to make a public announcement until it was official. Considering Big Brother is always watching I never felt comfortable with posting any great detail about my job search but today I quit my job, with my favorite LARGE BLUE COMPANY...IBM...it so good to say it out loud. Although I have posted in a round about way about my dislike for this company I can finally say it. It has been a big relief to finally come out and quit. I had mixed emotions the past 24 hours waiting for 8:15 to roll around. I was nervous and happy and excited and sad...my boss was upset and surprised. My timing wasn't the best. I mean it is almost Christmas, there is lots of work to be done and my boss and many other people are trying to squeeze all their vacation days in prior to the New Year. We have the 'use it or lose it' policy here, and it's a shame that most people will lose some vacation and essentially be paying IBM thousands of dollars...they call it 'taking one for the team' I call it crap, but that happens in a lot of companies these days. Anyhow...it will be hard to work the next few weeks. My last official day is January 7th. Luckily, my new job is only a few blocks away and for the few people that I would like to keep in touch with, that will be possible. So that's the story. Goodbye IBM!

No comments: