Thursday, June 03, 2004

airing my dirty laundry

Tonight I did laundry. Only our machine in the condo building was broken so I was forced to drag all my dirty belongings across the street to the laundry mat. Now on a normal day I would have just been disgruntled and would do it another night...however today was one of those times when you don't have an option on whether you do your laundry or not...when all your emergency unmentionables have been utilized. I don't even know when the last time I washed clothes was...thats how bad it was...so I hauled everything except about 2 pairs of pants that don't fit and a couple unmatching socks, across the street, to share my dirty laundry with the rest of the world. As I sat there, waiting to add the fabric softener in the rinse cycle only...I looked around...everyone in a laundry mat has a story...I can see it in their face...a random group of people...forced in the same building...differant status...differant jobs...Different lives...all here for a common goal...yet I wonder what the man who obviously wears boxer briefs is thinking about as he watches the dryer go around and around...or why the lady in the washer across from mine proudly hangs her bras on the the long pole coming out of the cart with wheels while the other hides hers in a little stack in the corner of her basket...what does that mean about each of them? how about the man that shoves everything he can fit in one washer while the next man sorts very specifically in three Different washers. Which makes me stop and look at my own dirty laundry...what does it say about me?

No comments: