Monday, June 28, 2004

Looks Like somebod'y got a case of the Mondays...

Peter: What if we're still doing this when we're 50?

Samir: It would be nice to have that kind of job security.
...
Bob Slydell: If you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Bob Slydell: Great.
Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door--that way Lumberg can't see me, heh--after that I sorta space out for an hour.
Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.
...
Peter: The thing is, Bob, it’s not that I’m lazy. It’s just that I just don’t care.

Bob Porter: Don’t, don’t care?

Peter: It’s a problem of motivation, all right? Now, if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don’t see another dime. So where’s the motivation? And here’s another thing, Bob. I have eight different bosses right now!

Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?

Peter: Eight bosses.

Bob Slydell: Eight?

Peter: Eight, bob. So that means when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That’s my real motivation - is not to be hassled. That and the fear of losing my job, but y’know, Bob, it will only make someone work hard enough not to get fired.
******************************************
I've seen this movie several times...but never has it hit the nail on the head as it has today...its a nice reminder that it's not just me.

No comments: