Tuesday, June 15, 2004

nothing like eating a little gravel on a beautiful afternoon....

So Sunday I'm laying on my couch all content...watching the Cubs game...dosing in and out of sleep when I am rudely interrupted my by cell phone...i try to settle back in but I can see that is not going to be very easy to do...i then realize that i shouldn't be wasting this wonderful day inside...so i jump up, grab my stuff for the beach and my roller blades and head out the door...i'm cruising down belden, lincoln park in sight when i see the light at the intersection change in my favor...i pick up the speed, trying to decide if i can make it there before i get the hand...when i find myself flying through the air...at this point someone put the slow motion on...i crash to the ground and pause while people, enjoying the wonderful weather, come running from every direction...i'm stunned, they fuss over me...someone finally asks if they can do anything...I say helping me up would be nice...they do so...i turn to look to see what had caused my down fall...a strip of the pavement had been removed and filled with gravel...which i clearly hadn't seen...luckily i had wrist guards on...I'm bruised up a bit, and if it hadn't been for the one piece of gravel that i landed on with my elbow I may have escaped pretty clean...who would have known that one piece of gravel embedded in ones elbow would cause so much pain...i continue to skate towards the lake, only to pause, look at the hole in my elbow before deciding to accept my defeat and return home to nurse my wounds...

No comments: