Saturday, May 15, 2004

Pea's in the Corn Fields

This afternoon I attended my friends wedding rehearsal in Merriville, Indiana at a banquet hall on the outskirts just before you hit the corn fields of Indiana. When we arrived there were several semi's and big tour buses in the parking lot. I knew that Merriville High School was to have their prom there later on that night. What I didn't know was that MTV was going to be there filming it all. Apparently some girl from MHS had won an MTV contest to have MTV follow her around to film her prom experience. While it was apparent that something was going to be different at this prom...the excitement of the trucks, notices posted that if you enter the building you will be video taped, just a buzz around the building. As we stood in the lobby of the hall trying to stay out of the rain before the rehearsal (which was outside), 4 or 5 large African Americans were headed toward the doors...something was different here and I couldn't decide what it was...while the older crowd clutched their purses a little tighter...I joked to watch out and make way for 50 cents...I noticed the first guy with security badages around his neck and everything else went so quickly as they were wisked away to a side room...okay I thought...I think I should know who that was...Michael Brady to the rescue...it was a memeber of The Black Eyed Peas...Mtv brought them along to perform at the Prom...I can only imagine what he was thinking as he walked through the lobby with a bunch of middle classed white people who were clearly looking at him like a) a hoodlum or b) ignoring his presence...he was probably laughing inside at the room of crackers who had no idea who he was. Little did everyone know...

No comments: