Saturday, May 01, 2004

"Where's everyone like you tonight?"

Tonight I went dancing again. Let me explain the swing dance scene here. First of all, from the first time I went out dancing I have always aspired to be one of the great dancers (heck I'd settle for good) I see dancing up a storm. There are some unbelievable dancers here. When you go out swing dancing you can definitely tell who the regulars are, who the wanna be's are, the newbee's, and who's not from around here. I have really improved my dancing over the past 2 years and don't really know where I fit in the scene. I don't know where other dancers place me nor where I place myself. Tonight there was clearly a guy from out of town, initial assessments were that he was a decent dancer but definitely not one who is from around here (all of this before he ever hits the dance floor)...by now I know enough to tell the different swing styles, the different look, and familiar faces usually at first glance. So when he does hit the floor I do see that he knows what he is doing and that he is probably an active dancer where ever he is from. Half way through the night he asks me to dance. We chat while dancing (which I will admit is much harder then chewing gum and walking...I am sure I will never master the art). I find out he's from DC. He then says something to me that may have been the biggest compliment I have ever received about my dancing...the crowd was a little thin tonight b/c of the rain and he says, "Where's everyone like you tonight?"...to those reading this you are waiting for the other shoe to fall, but you have already missed it. He asked ME, where everyone like ME was tonight...meaning the good dancers....meaning that he catergorized me with the good dancers...me. Wow!

No comments: