Friday, April 30, 2004

Today we lost my mother...

My morning walk to the train always includes a call to/from my mother, it has become a part of our every day routine. I am not sure when or how it started, but it has probably been going on for 6 months. She is on her way to the gym, I am on the way to the train so it's how we pass our commute. Today, she didn't call. I couldn't find her, no response. Okay, I figured she forgot her phone. I waited an hour...no mom...I waited 30 minutes and still no mom...couldn't reach her on her home or cell phone...strange...now I'm starting to worry because on a normal day she has usaually called me 3+ times by now. No one has heard from her...my dad, my sister, my grandma...so we sit and wait, all of us getting a bit anxious. Finally, after 2 hours and 36 minutes of waiting she is found. She forgot to take her cell phone with her. It is now apparent that we all freaked out for nothing but also how reliant we have all be come on cell phones. 10 months ago she didn't even have a phone. Did we not care about her then? Of course we did we just wouldn't have noticed she was gone yet. We use these things like they are attached to our head, and are lost without. I seriously wouldn't even know my sister phone number without it...nor many of my friends numbers. At baseball games we use it to wave at our friends at home when we are on camera, at concerts we use them to find friends in a sea of people, some of us call upstairs when we are downstairs. How would we find my father in the mall without it? Amazing technology but today made me realize that we get a little carried away sometimes.

No comments: